Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Movies that I saw this past week

So, I had a really filmy week, I saw a lot of movies, partly because my frustration towards the city of Pune has reached a new height!!!!(lets not discuss why )

Here are the movies that I saw and what I feel about them:


First, I really wanted to see a horror film (and not a grotesque one involving a lot of melons or ketchup), so I searched for "top horrors of all time" and found 'Rosemary's Baby'.
My thoughts : The movie majorly sucked. I hated the acting and I felt there was nothing horror about it.
Verdict: CRAP

Second, I saw Hounddog starring Dakota Fanning and I have to say, I WAS COMPLETELY BLOWN OFF.
My thoughts : A great performance by Dakota. Neither having an extremely strong script nor great costumes, etc.. yet the movie was just amazing! and the only reason for that is Dakota's acting. Though at the rotten-tomatoes, it got a rating of just 16% with 42 rotten votes, I really beg to differ. Controversial- why? beautiful-yes! great acting- definitely
Verdict: I am keeping it in my collection.

Third, Pirate Radio, the film released under various titles,The Boat that Rocked or Good Morning England.
My Thoughts: I had been dying to watch this film ever since I was in France, however I somehow always missed it (either to Le temps qu'il reste or to La-Haut (Up), till ultimately it was removed).
I really enjoyed the film, it was fun fun fun from start to end. I liked the music and it rekindled my love for rock-n-roll. Yeah, there are many rock-n-roll fanatics who feel that the portray of the history is sloppy, but damn-them! (no offence), its a movies for pleasure, of pleasure and by pleasure, and not a Discovery documentary. I am sure even the cast had great fun making it.
Verdict: Keeping it in my collection

Fourth, Across the Universe. I had started watching this move at my aunt's place 3 months ago, on my arrival from France and when I was just about to come to Pune.
My Thoughts: As I was already in love with musicals(which I usually am) after The Pirate Radio, I decided to watch this as well. Its not a bad movie but not a great movie either. One musical with which I am not in love.
I felt that it was well done, to make a movie using the songs of just one music band (The Beatles, in this case) is not easy. I simply adored some songs, felt they sounded much better than the original(Get by with a little help from my friends, Prudence, Hey Jude... just to name a few), yet there were some that were there just to show artistic excellence(though could have been edited out).
Verdict: One time watch


Fifth, Shortbus. I would like to tell a little about the plot of this movie. The movie has 3 main stories, first of a gay couple, second of a sex-therapist or a relationship advisor(as she prefers) and third of a whore each having some problem either sexual or emotional and how they seek answers to their problems while visiting an underground modern-day salon famous for sex, music and art (in some way, yes I feel the salon was artistic)
My Thoughts: I felt that the director used a very unconventional way to express some very basic human emotions, expressing emotions via just sex, and thus hats off to him/her for that! Though I do feel that the film could have done with a bit less carnality.
Verdict: A good watch.



Sixth, .....yes there is a sixth and still one more after that :), Vickey Christina Barcelona.
I had downloaded this when I was in France, but saw it now.
My thoughts: okie-dokie. really liked the Spanish guitar scene, locations were very pretty and I loved Antonio's father's house and also his own, I would like to describe it as, actually quoting from a review as I feel they put it exactly I would have wanted to, a breezy summer entertainment. Of all the actors in the film, my favourite has to be Penélope, beautiful performance.
Also, why the hype about Scarlett and Penélope's kiss? it was not that steamy....
Verdict: One time watch


Seventh, Chinatown.
My Thoughts: Not such a great movie, why is it such a great classic?
Verdict: One time watch, so that you do not feel you have missed out on one of the 'top movies of all times'.

No comments:

Post a Comment