Monday, November 16, 2009

Déjà Vu

This weekend I visited Mumbai, which is some 130 Kms from Pune. We(my cuz, my to be brother-in-law and I ) drove to the city and stayed at our another cuz.... Isn't this great about an Indian family- you can always rely upon them, they never leave you!

Anyhow, this was my second visit to the financial capital of the country (the first déjà-vu) and I completely enjoyed it. My first trip to the city had been with my grand-father and had been a complete disaster! I had had hated the trip completely!

This time, I had a heavy brunch at Leopold Café, dessert from the Pastry Shop of The Taj Mahal Hotel, some snacks at CCD at the Atria Mall (where we also saw the Ducati Showroom and the Rolls Royce Showroom) and a heavy dinner at Bademiyas followed by drinks at the Red Box.
The next day I visited 2 of my cousins who live near Powai. It was a fun day and a lovely weekend indeed!

My second déjà-vu, one rather disturbing, was at the Taj Mahal Hotel, rather outside the hotel! I was taking a pic of the hotel, when I was troubled by the police force in the area as I had not shaved and was taking photographs of "The Hotel".
It remeinded me of the frisking I had to undergo at Cannes Film festival, because I have a beard and was not wearing jeans-T-shirt!
I don't even want to get into any discussion regarding this, as I feel it is dismal that even the Indian police has a mind set that a man with a beard is a terrorist! WTF

If you read my itinerary for the 2 days in Mumbai, I actually did not do anything special,nothing atall, yet in the two days that I spent there, I got this sense of power from the city, a different kind of sensation(I can assure you it was not the alcohol)!
It is said that those who get accustomed to the life of Mumbai, do not like living else where.
Why does this happen? Cant be definitely because of the countless slums that are there in the city. The cost of living is also quiet high there, then what is it???

Mumbai- the city of dreams. If you want to live your dream then go to Mumbai, weather in cinema, theatre, corporate world or under world!What makes it so? I think it is the spirit of Mumbai. The city that allows you to be exactly what you want to be, it does not judge you on being different or trying to be different. If you have the wish, the want and the will to make something out of your life, the city does not bind you in its dos and donts, less shackles to break! There is less hypocrisy.
A very wise aunt of mine told me that the city is extremely professional, and I do agree with her. She had explained to me giving example form the advertising world but even the home-delivery guy is smart and professional; he carries the exact change that would be required(unlike in Delhi, where we often hear, " Saab chutta nahi hai").

Mumbai reminded me of Paris, OK definitley not as architecturally beautiful, but the way of life is exactly the same.... laissez-faire!!!!
I finally understood that it is that sense of freedom that people search for and do attain in this city.

I would definitly like to live a part of my life in the city, but would like to live it in comfort. That means I really need to start earning big soon(HR, beware, I am soon going to ask for a raise)


No comments:

Post a Comment